The Benefits of Raw Cannabis in Smoothies and Juices
As cannabis enthusiasts, we are inclined to adore all versions of the cannabis plant – but honestly, we think THC gets a little too much of the spotlight. We could go on all day about the benefits of getting high, the pain relief, the stress relief, just the overall joy and laughter that decarboxylated (the process of heating cannabis to activate THC) cannabis brings.
Did you know that cannabis is technically a vegetable? Much like other vegetables, the way most consume cannabis (heated up) takes out loads of the nutritional value and health benefits. Consuming cannabis raw does not activate THC (or another well-known cannabinoid CBD) and instead contains high levels of THCA (Tetrahydrocannabinolic-acid) and CBDA (Cannabidiolic-acid) – both highly medicinal cannabinoids.
These cannabinoids will not get you high which allows one to up the dose/milligrams to extremely high levels like 500-1,000mgs at a time, doses that would send you to outer space for days if you were to consume that level of THC (although we have met some folks with unbelievably high tolerances…). At those concentrations, the medicinal value is greatly increased and new doors to wellness are opened.
What are some of the medicinal benefits to high doses of THCA and CBDA? Juicing, adding to a smoothie, or other raw consumption methods dramatically increase the antioxidant and neuroprotective levels. Other benefits include:
- Anti Inflammatory – inhibit cancer cell growth
- Aissit with immune system function
- Improve bone metabolism
- Improve neural function
- Loaded with proteins, minerals, vitamins, fibers, and antioxidants,
- Rich in digestible globular proteins, and the balanced proportions of essential amino acids
- Raw marijuana has an ideal ratio of omega-3 fatty acids and omega-6 fatty acids, with antioxidant properties
- reduce the risk of heart diseases
- address diabetes complications
Think of raw cannabis as a super-food, a abg of raw cannabis should be found right next to the Acai berries and kale!
Now we know it is not possible for everyone to access raw cannabis. Generally speaking you will need to grow your own plants in order to consistently consume raw leaves and buds. We should note that the health benefits mentioned above are just as prevalent in the legal form of cannabis known to many as hemp – meaning you can legally grow your own in most states! But we understand that is not always an option either. We do hope that one day these raw medicines will be available and easily accessible to all – though it will likely start out grossly overpriced.
If you are able to access fresh, raw cannabis here are some of our favorite ways to use them:
- In a Juice – the taste is pretty strong so we like to mix with pineapple and other fruits
- In a Smoothie – just toss a handful of raw cannabis in your favorite smoothie recipe
- Cannabis Pesto – skip the basil (or use half and half) and replace it with raw cannabis in your favorite pesto recipe
- In a Salad – chop the leaves and eat mixed into your favorite salad (lots of fiber!)